Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Finishing the countertops!!

Well we priced Formica countertops for the basement and they were pricey!! They wanted $600 dollars for stinkin' formica!!! So I decided we were going to do our own counters!! I loved the look of synthetic concrete counters because your color and style options are endless because you can color them your self!! We built the countertop base with MDF and then we bought a rope molding (the kind for cabinets) and nailed the molding onto the wood. Then I primed the wood with a polymer to seal it. I troweled on a synthetic concrete base caot (scratch coat) then when that was dry I troweled on the smoother top coat. I sanded that down then I painted the counter with a black base coat and then came the marbling and other colors. After the color was done we put a hard epoxy over the top. It will withstand 600 degrees of heat and it is scratch resistant. I love the way it turned out. The pictures do not do it justice!! Here are photos of the process :)





1 comment:

Jen said...

Holy CRAP woman seriously is there nothing you guys can't do? How much do you charge? I love the counters and my mom needs to remodel her kitchen and we are having the same issue she wants the look of dark granite but not the cost! You seriously amaze me all the time!